Do you have a major opportunity, but wonder if you have the time and skill set in-house? Franklin Hart Consultancy uses a range of techniques to develop, implement, manage and evaluate bounded and time-based projects, based on long experience. For larger projects we favour the PRINCE2 suite of materials.
Having an external project manager, particularly for larger projects, is extremely important because:
– Franklin-Hart brings additional time and skills which may not be present in the staff and volunteer team
– We can help to bring focus and structure to the process as we are not involved in the daily “fire-fighting”; we will draw together key people within the organisation
– We can manage the administration, set up new processes and systems and generally smooth the project into being
Call us now to discuss how we can help with developing or managing your project.
To receive an monthly update of interesting stories, links to useful organisations and Franklin-Hart news, subscribe to our newsletter here.
Case Study: Sustainability website project
I have undertaken development of projects of all sizes and types: I project-managed the development of a website Grownupgreen.org.uk for a small environmental charity. This involved various stages:
- Concept development with a range of stakeholders
- Mission and brand development
- Writing the technical, brand and delivery specifications and handling the tender process
- Managing the production of the functionality and content of the website with several contributors
- Developing a wide range of partnerships within the sector to provide 20 new articles per month, together with special offers, quizzes & etc
In this case, I stayed with the project until it was fully implemented and helped with future planning and income generation. CMH
For information: PRINCE2:
The method PRINCE2 (PRojects IN Controlled Environments) is a de facto standard used extensively by the UK Government and is widely recognised and used in the private sector, both in the UK and internationally and is a registered trade mark of the Cabinet Office.
The key features of PRINCE2 are:
– Its focus on business justification
– A defined organisation structure for the project management team
– Its product-based planning approach
– Its emphasis on dividing the project into manageable and controllable stages
– Its flexibility to be applied at a level appropriate to the project
The main usefulness of PRINCE2 to working within charities is its adaptability for different circumstances while maintaining an excellent methodology which encourages clear thinking about the work.
What is the most challenging thing about managing a project in a third sector organisation in your experience? Please tell us your thoughts in the box below.